Thursday, July 14, 2011

Psalm 13

Psalm 13 – How Long?


In our study of the Galatians we passed by the fruit of the Spirit. One of those evidences of a Spirit filled life is long suffering / patience. As we grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, we must acknowledge that patience is a necessary discipline. Being in submission to the Holy Spirit will produce patience.

God commands that we have patience

2Peter 1:5-6 cf Luke 21:5-19

Patience is a part of ministry: 2Cor 6:4, 2Cor 12:12, 1Tim 6:11

Patience is a part of the christian life: Rom 15:5, Col 1:11

Patience produces joy and rejoicing in others 1Thes 1:3, 2Thes 1:4

Patience will be necessary till Christ Comes! 2Thes 3:5,

James 5: 7-11 / Rom 5:1-5, Romans 8:

Let's consider tonight a genuine experience of long suffering.

Here is the key, long suffering has it's sustainability in God.

I.A Concern to be Addressed (vs 1-2) How long?

     A. will I be forgotten? - Hebrew = forgotten
          (Dut 31:16-18) (Job 13) (Psalm 22)

     B. will you be hidden from me? - Hebrew = concealed

     C. will I take counsel in my soul having sorrow in my heart daily? -

     D. will my enemy be exalted over me? (cf vs 4)
          Your enemies define you! Who is against you?


Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Heb 13:5-6 – Dut 31:1-7 Ps 118:6

II.A Call to be Considered (vs 3-4)

How do you respond in time of trouble and turmoil? How you respond says everything about you!

     A. Consider me = look to me, regard, pay attention

     B. Hear me = answer me, show hearing by responding

          We need to reflect and meditate on the reality of how great it is to

          1) Know God!

          2) Have an audience with God

          3) Have help from God

     C. Lighten me (Ezra 9:8)(Ps 19:8)(Eph 1:18)

III.A Commitment to be Followed (vs 5)

I have trusted in thy mercy

Rom 12:1 By the mercies of God

2Sam 24:14

Neh 19:9

Psalm 25:6 / Psalm 145:9

Lam 3:22 / 32

Dan 9:9

IV.A Commendation to be Given (vs 5-6)

– Faith shines brightest in dark hours.

     A. My heart shall rejoice

     B. I will sing unto the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment