Sunday, August 7, 2011

Psalm 18

I. GOD is my Strength. (vs 1-17) see vs 1
     A. Strength appreciated! (vs 1) I will love
     B. Strength visualized (vs 2) The Lord is my......
     C. Strength requested (vs 3-6) The sorrows of death / hell
     D. Strength demonstrated (vs 7-17) A storm from God

II.God is my Stay. (vs 18-36) see vs 18
This word is found only in 2Sam 22:19, here in Psalm 17, and in Isaiah 3:1
The context of Isaiah 3:1-10 Illustrates the idea of God being David's stay very well
The stay and staff of Isaiah 3:1 are from the same root.

     A. The staff

As one leans on the staff for support in travel and personal deportment.
David knew what a staff was (Psalm 23:4) thy staff – the tool of the shepherd. He was a shepherd.
But the staff can also have bad implications Ezk 29:6-8

     B. The Stay

But there is a distinction. David did not say staff here but stay. God was not his crutch, a third appendage that he picked up,

NO! God was his full support.

Isaiah 3:1 – the stay of bread and water demonstrates the complete necessity for the survival of man! Without bread and water man will die.

De 33:27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

David attributes all the good and blessings that he has enjoyed as being the sole response of God to him.!

The idea of stay has the idea of complete trust and only in the object of trust.

Look at the believer's salvation! Trust is reliance on God without a back up plan.

          1. The benefits of God being your stay: (vs 19)
               a. Brought into a large place
               b. Delivered
               c. Delighted in

           2. The Beginnings of God being your stay (vs 21-38)
               a. Keeping God's Word (21-28) 
                   lighten – Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my   path.
               b. Keeping a humble attitude (vs 29-36)
                   look at all the times David gives the honor and glory to  God for what was accomplished.
               c. Keeping a faithful loyalty. (vs 37-39)
                   Who your enemies are says much about you!

III. God is my Salvation. (vs 37 -50) see vs 46

           Great deliverance – vs 50

Ps 74:12 ¶ For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.

Isa 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my  strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment